HDMI Licensing, the licenser of the High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) specification announced the HDMI 1.4, the latest version of the interface.
The HDMI 1.4 will have a Ethernet data channel for high-speed bi-directional communication, an Audio Return Channel that will reduce the number of cables required to deliver audio upstream for processing and playback, support for 3D over HDMI, and up to 4K x 2K resolution support.
The new specs will also have expanded support for color space supporting sYCC601, Adobe RGB and AdobeYCC601. The Micro HDMI Connector, which is 50% smaller, is also introduced.
Five kinds of HDMI 1.4 cable will be available
- Standard HDMI Cable – supports data rates up to 1080i/60;
- High Speed HDMI Cable – supports data rates beyond 1080p, including Deep Color and all 3D formats of the new 1.4 specification;
- Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet – includes Ethernet connectivity;
- High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet – includes Ethernet connectivity;
- Automotive HDMI Cable – allows the connection of external HDMI-enabled devices to an in-vehicle HDMI device.