Samsung officially announced the commercial launch of its Blue Earth solar-power mobile phone. Samsung’s eco-friendly phone comes with solar charging panel is made from Post Consumer Material (PCM), which is extracted from water bottles.
Samsung’s Blue Earth features a 3-inch capacitive touchscreen display and a 3.2 Megapixel camera with face detection and smile shot. FM radio with RDS and Bluetooth are included. The solar handset supports quad-band GSM/EDGE and dual band HSDPA networks.
Samsung Blue Earth is launching in Sweden in October and will soon launch in France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Portugal and other European and Asian countries. Other than getting power from the Sun, the Blue Earth includes also other eco-friendly features:
- Blue Earth is made from Post Consumer Material (PCM), which is extracted from water bottles, helping to reduce fuel consumption and carbon emissions during the manufacturing process.
- The device, including the charger, is free from harmful substances such as Brominated Flame Retardants (BFR), Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) and Phthalate.
- With “Eco mode,” screen brightness, backlight duration and Bluetooth can be set to an energy-efficient mode with just one click.
- The “Eco Walk” function allows users to count their steps with a built in pedometer and calculate the reduction in CO2 emission realized by walking as opposed to using a motor vehicle. This unique function allows users to see the value of walking by calculating the number of trees that have been saved.
- The package is made from easy-to-recycle paper and printed in soy ink. It also suggests a simple DIY idea to reuse the package as a photo frame or a pencil box.
- Blue Earth comes with a 5 star energy efficient charger which uses only 0.03W of power in standby mode.