Olympus expands the Digital PEN line compact Micro Four Thirds interchangeable lens digital cameras with the new E-PL2. The new camera continues the the PEN family’s legacy of simple design, intuitive interface and DSLR image quality. It is equipped with a 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor and the TruePic V Image processor to deliver clear, accurate and colorful photos.
The PEN E-PL2 features ISO sensitivity up to 6400, Face Detection with a new Eye Detection function called Eye Detect, Intelligent Auto (iAuto) Mode, In-Camera Panorama, 22 Scene-Select Modes and iEnhance function that enrich color in photos. There are also six art filters – Pop Art, Soft Focus, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, and Dramatic Tone, for users to add effects to photos and videos.
The Olympus E-PL2 comes with a 3-inch LCD display. It can record 720p HD video and offers HDMI output. The camera will be available as a kit for $599.99 with the new MSC (Movie & Still Compatible) ED m14-42mm f3.5/5.6 zoom (28mm-84mm equiv.) M.Zuiko Digital Micro Four Thirds lens. It comes in black, white, silver, red colors.
Olympus will also release several accessories for the E-PL2:
- Add-on Conversion Lenses – Olympus has three new affordable and compact conversion lenses that mount on the new MSC ED m14-42mm f3.5/5.6 zoom lens to further expand what you can do with the E-PL2:
- Fish-eye Lens Converter (FCON-37): captures a distorted hemispherical image covering 120° – to generate dramatic shots and edges that wrap around the frame of your image;
- Wide-angle Lens Converter (WCON-37): enables the user to capture a broader shot, for example, to include more people in a photograph. It dramatically alters the proportions of close and distant subjects. Subjects close to the lens appear much larger, while subjects in the background appear smaller – creating a dynamic sense of depth; and
- Macro Lens Converter (MCON-58): Enables the user to capture fascinating close-ups from as little as 24cm. away from the subject (depending upon the lens in use). The MCON-58 is also compatible with the ED m14-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens (28-300mm equivalent), ED m40-150mm F4.0-5.6, and ED m75-300mm f4.8-5.6 (35mm equivalent 150–600mm) for close focusing shots.
- Macro Arm Light (MAL-1) – Not one, but two bright LED lights – each on the end of its own fully flexible metal arm and powered by the camera. Both arms extend up to 17cm. from a sleek and slender unit mounted on the camera’s Accessory Port. For macro shots or attractive close-ups of small items or for online auctions, the MAL-1 is ideal for getting the lighting just right.
- PENPAL – A sleek communication unit for storing up to 2600 images and transferring them via wireless Bluetooth to other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone, PC or even another PENPAL-equipped camera. From there it’s easy to share them with friends in online communities or via e-mail.
- VF-2 detachable electronic viewfinder, which provides 1.15x magnification and a 100 percent field of view with sharp resolution, brightness and contrast,
- SEMA-1 external microphone adapter set for those who want to capture enhanced audio with any microphone that has a 3.5mm plug.
- PT-EP03 underwater case that is waterproof to a depth of 40 meters (approximately 130 feet).