Sprint is going to release Motorola’s PHOTON 4G Android smartphone on 31 July. As Sprint’s first international 4G smartphone, the PHOTON 4G supports not only the carrier’s WiMAX 4G and CDMA EVDO network, but also quad-band GSM/EDGE and tri-band WCDMA 3G network, making it a true global phone. The phone will be available for 199.99 with two-year service agreement.
The PHOTON 4G is powered by a Tegra 2 dual-core 1GHz processor with 1GB of memory and 16GB internal memory. It features a 4.3-inch qHD capacitive touchscreen, a 8 Megapixel camera with dual LED flash and 720p HD video recording, a VGA front camera for video chat and a microSD/SDHC card slot supporting up to 32GB cards. The Android phone supports GPS/AGPS, Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity and includes 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability, allowing users to share Sprint 3G or 4G connection to up to eight devices.
The Motorola PHOTON 4G also feature HDMI output, USB 2.0 port, DLNA support, and FM radio. It runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS. Coming with the PHOTON, accessories and cases will be released:
- Paired with the HD Station, which includes a Wireless Remote and HDMI Cable, users can do more than ever on a larger screen. When docked, the Motorola PHOTON 4G launches the Webtop application, providing users with instant access to full Firefox® multi-window browsing capabilities. Additionally, users can connect up to three USB peripherals, such as a keyboard, mouse or memory stick to be even more productive at home or on-the-go. The HD Station will be available when the device launches for $99.99 (excludes tax).
- The full-size Wireless Keyboard allows Motorola PHOTON 4G users to work faster with Bluetooth® technology and a super thin design. The Wireless Keyboard provides quick access to Android® apps using dedicated shortcut keys and navigate through Web apps powered by Android in a snap. Available when the device launches, the Wireless Keyboard will retail for $69.99 (excludes tax).
- Hitting the open road for summer vacation? The Vehicle Navigation Dock for Motorola PHOTON 4G is the ultimate travel companion providing users with easy access to maps, favorite contacts, hands-free calling, music, turn-by-turn navigation and more. Equipped with integrated Motorola ESP technology to automate the screen preferences, and allows streaming audio & music via the 3.5mm audio jack through the vehicle speakers. The Vehicle Navigation Dock will be available when the device launches for $59.99 (excludes tax).
- When it comes time to recharge Motorola PHOTON 4G, Sprint offers a wide variety of power solutions, including a Battery Only Charger and Battery Bundle. This high performing, 1700mAh Lithium Ion replacement battery gives the device the power to talk, send texts, take pictures, or just be on standby. The bundle includes a battery-only charger, providing users the option to charge the spare battery separately and is available on August 21 for $49.99 (excludes tax).
- A Holster and Shield Combo make a nice protective cover to prevent scuffs and scratches. This cover and holster combination carry solution provides convenient protection for the Motorola PHOTON 4G device. It is available for $24.99 (excludes tax).
- The protective Gel surrounds Motorola PHOTON 4G like protective gloves with precision cut-outs for access to the device’s bright screen, control buttons and keypad. It’s available in purple and retails for $19.99 (excludes tax).
- The two-piece Phone Cover for Motorola PHOTON 4G slides together easily to protect the top and bottom of the device. Available in gray with black leather inlay, the phone cover will retail for $21.99 (excludes tax).