Motorola and Sprint introduce the ADMIRAL, the first Android smartphone with Sprint Direct Connect. The ADMIRAL is a bar-type device with QWERTY keyboard for easy text input. It is powered by 1.2GHz processor and runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS. It use the Sprint 3G (EVDO Rev. A) network to provide the gold-standard push-to-talk capabilities of Sprint Direct Connect.
The Motorola ADMIRAL comes with a 5 Megapixel camera with 720p HD video recording and flash. It has 4GB internal memory and a microSD card slot. With WiFi 802.11b/g/n support, the ADMIRAL includes 3G mobile hotspot capability for sharing 3G connection to up to five WiFi devices. It comes pre-loaded with Adobe Flash Player and Quickoffice.
Sprint Direct Connect is a portfolio of push-to-talk services that allow individuals and groups to get more done – quickly and easily with just the push of a button. Among the initial Sprint Direct Connect services:
- Sprint Direct Connect – Instant, one-to-one push-to-talk calling nationwide on the Sprint network, with any other Direct Connect subscriber. Direct Connect is the core push-to-talk feature and is designed for interoperability across Sprint and Nextel network platforms.
- Guaranteed Talk Permit – The assurance that when you hear the push-to-talk “chirp” that your call was successfully transmitted.
- Call Alert with Text – Send an audio alert with an optional text message to let another Direct Connect subscriber know you are trying to reach them and why.
- Group Connect – Communicate with up to 20 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers all at once – nationwide, at the push of one button.
- TeamDCSM – Communicate with up to 200 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers at the same time nationwide2.
- NextMail – Send a recorded message to any email worldwide or mobile handset via text message by using the Direct Connect button.
- Availability Notification – Request the availability status of another push-to-talk member and, if they are busy, request a notification when they are free.